When Marriage Fails

I was shocked to read in the news this morning that Katie Holmes has filed for divorce from Tom Cruise after six years of marriage. As usual, the one who will suffer from this is their cute little daughter, Suri Cruise. And the fact that her mother wants sole custody of their daughter gives the impression that it’s going to be a nasty custody battle.

I also can’t help but feel sorry for Katie. They said she has lost some of her spirit after marrying her childhood idol. She has isolated herself from her friends and would sometimes go out looking unkept and disheveled. Gone was the sweet smiling girl from the hugely popular Dawson’s Creek series. It must have been a shock to her that their marriage life didn’t turn out as she expected. She really looked head over heels in love with him in the beginning.

This would be another big blow to Tom Cruise’s reputation. When the two hooked up, everybody was already thinking that Katie was making a big mistake because of his weird ways particularly the couch jumping incident and his fanatical involvement with Scientology. But people gave him a chance to prove that he’s just a regular guy minus the superstar status just because sweet Katie found something good in him. So now that Katie finally wants out in their marriage means Cruise would need some major personal branding overhaul. According to his spokesperson, Tom is devastated and is now focusing on his three children. It seems his camp has already started salvaging his shattered reputation.

Anyway, his reputation should be the last on his mind. If their marriage is truly irreparable then he should try even harder to become a good dad to his daughter. That is, if Katie will even allow him to.

24 thoughts on “When Marriage Fails

1. rachelle

i was also surprised with this news. i guess it was really a whirlwind romance and a dream come true to Katie. But yeah, I also noticed that the luster wasn’t there anymore for Katie. I hope everything will be just fine for her and their daughter.

She lost her career during her marriage, no?
      Now the question is will she be able to make a comeback after all this?

2. itin

I chuckled over that couch jumping reference. He was and still weird of a guy, why didn’t Katie bother to get to know his religion first before getting effed up by her childhood fantasy of becoming a reality? Right when she and Tom appeared together on Oprah, I knew right away they will eventually break up. And my intuition, as usual, is right. Poor Suri.

Buti ka pa you kinda knew. Me, I’m so naive kasi I thought they would really last kaya I was really shocked with this news.

3. Shadz

This shocked me, too. I second what you said about Katie losing her spirit during their time together. I loved the younger version of her. I remember that I liked Teaching Mrs. Tingle just because she was in it. Hehe.

4. seth

I am shocked too when I first learned about the news last night. I even asked my hubby if it was true. I never thought that their fairy tale like relationship will end just like that. Any how, I love Katie Holmes still.

5. Eds

It wasn’t really a shocked to me.. somehow when they got married I already had a feeling that something like this will happen.. I’m basiong on TOm’s history… though its really unfortunate for Zuri..

6. Daddy Yashiro

I think it is really impossible for couples in the entertainment industry to keep a long relationship, if there are, quite few only lasts long.

Kids are always affected and they are the shock absorber of all things that parents does. Just too sad…

7. LaDyXciD

What? At first I was shocked that two hooked up and get married.. but I’m even shocked now cause I thought they’re were good together.. :( but atleast they should still try to work it our for their little girl..

8. jared's mum

this news was quite surprising but it was not something totally unexpected. i thought something was amiss when katie stopped making those films + i have to agree, she really lost a bit of her old self when she married tom. now, i am more concerned about their little girl, suri :(

9. Bonzenti | Con Tour Blog

Tom Cruise needs a professional care on this. On pinoy’s culture, holding on with the relationship for the sake of the children is one of the things that I am proud of. Faith cultivation is the key. :-).

10. Chin chin

I’m not very much celebrity minded but it is really sad that this break-up will add to the statistics of many divorced relationships today. Sigh!

11. Lalah

I was shocked too because I didn’t know their marriage was troubled, they look ok and then BOOM!!! Divorce. WOW! Do you think it has something to do with Tom’s religion? Scientology? is it even a religion?

Ah yes, I remember that sweet smile of Katie that seemed to light up her whole face. It looks like she did make quite a mistake by choosing the wrong man. Just look at how her eyes lost the glow in them.

13. Lady

I was kind of expecting it. :/ Katie became popular but she didn’t have a lot of projects anymore. And she looked older. But what I really think triggered this divorce was the religion thing and their daughter being hounded by the media. Maybe if they are no longer together the media exposure will die down a little. And who wants to raise a child in a dodgy religion?! I mean she was raised a Catholic maybe she wanted to raise her as one as well.

It didn’t help that rumors say Tom is the #2 or #3 man in Scientology and is really a fanatic.

14. Mai

too bad most celebrity marriages always end up in divorces. Tom Cruise should go on a retreat and ask him why his relationships don’t last that long.

15. jellybelly

Come to think of it, Katie was looking tired and haggard in the photos of her I’ve seen lately. I’m sure scientology played a big part in Katie’s decision.

16. Kristen

I hope she bounces back! I was a Tom Cruise fan until he got into Scientology. Too bad their marriage failed and I feel sorry for both of them. I wasn’t there to witness everything so I guess I cannot pinpoint who failed who.