Beware of Asbestos in our Home

Recently, I came to know about asbestos and how it causes Mesothelioma Cancer. They said it’s extremely dangerous and if you inhale asbestos fiber that’s when you get sick. As a mom, I am always on the lookout for dangerous things that can hurt my little one. So imagine my shock when I heard that asbestos can be found in familiar things. I searched wikipedia and here’s what I got:

  • drywall and joint compound
  • plaster
  • mud and texture coats
  • vinyl floor tiles, sheeting, adhesives
  • roofing tars, felts, siding, and shingles
  • “transite” panels, siding, countertops, and pipes
  • fireproofing
  • caulk
  • gaskets
  • brake pads and shoes
  • clutch plates
  • stage curtains
  • fire blankets
  • interior fire doors
  • fireproof clothing for firefighters
  • thermal pipe insulation

Are those things familiar to you?  I know some of those items are used in our house structure but I’m particularly concerned about the vinyl floor tiles. That’s what we have at home and everyday we’re in contact with it.  Z is walking on it barefoot, playing on it, and even lying down on it from time to time. That is really scary if it has asbestos fibers in it. I  really have to research more asbestos and will also ask our landlord about it.

2 thoughts on “Beware of Asbestos in our Home

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>